Connect with us

Brisbane News

Cribb Island received its name from J.G. Cribb, the son of Brisbane Council Ald…

Published

on

ADVERTISEMENT


Cribb Island received its name from J.G. Cribb, the son of Brisbane Council Alderman, Robert Cribb. 150 acres (0.61 km2) of land was bought from the Queensland Government in 1863. In 1885, Cribb sold 65 of those acres to James Jackson for the purpose of growing bananas. This area became known as Jackson’s Estate. The land that wasn’t used by Jackson was leased out to livestock farmers.

Archive photos courtesy John Oxley Library, State Library Qld.


May be an image of 3 people and people standingMay be an image of one or more people and people standingMay be an image of one or more people, people standing, vehicle, street and roadMay be an image of one or more people, people standing and vehicle


Click here to view the original post.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

You might also like ...

Queensland has recorded 3 new cases of COVID-19 today. These new cases were ove…
Hotel quarantine looms for visitors linked to growing number of NSW virus sites